Sunday, January 20, 2008

At Home in Mitford




Jan Karon's "At Home In Mitford" was exactly what I thought it would be -- a charming book about an idyllic community and the lives of those who live there.

The book centers around bachelor rector Father Tim, who after years of living in the small town wonders whether it's time for him to move on. Enter a hostile and unloved boy who he's asked to care for, an attractive neighbor who moves in next door, a dog that only responds to Scripture verses and the discovery of stolen jewelry hidden in his church and his life gets more colorful.

Some reviews I've read complain that the book is too light and the characters aren't realistic. I agree that the novel is easy to read, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I enjoyed the way the chapters were written almost like separate short stories that I could breeze through. Her descriptions were also so vivid that at times I could almost see the scene play out in front of me.

I disagree with reviewers who say the characters were too unrealistic. I live in a small community and I've come across some pretty eccentric people here. The characters could have been developed a little more, but I'm assuming Karon's subsequent books in the series will develop them further.

Overall, I thought this book was a delight to read. And yes, I do plan to read the rest of the series.

1 comment:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hi, just dropping in for the first time. I agree with your comments about the Mitford series. I have seen similar or "copycat" series since, but they lack the sweetness that Karon builds into her characters' idiosyncracies and their stories. The others' attempts at this lean more toward a bitter sarcasm, as if they have an actual contempt for their own characters. And after all, they're not murderer characters. I was also intrigued by your profile because so few mom bloggers mention working (or having ever worked) outside the home. It's just a different perspective that I also enjoy, although I understand that you are a SAHM now. Sorry such a long comment!